Friday 29 May 2009

Villar de Mazarife 23Kms- Total 509kms

Jo and I ran into the Canadian women in the Leon Supermarket last night after a few days not seeing them---Jo and I were shopping for Dinner last night---came up with Muesli--a box---we both had 2 plates of it --about 80% of the packet so not too much to carry on. We were staying in a monastery and the Nuns---about 20 of them them invited us to a service---about 100 pilgrims turned up for 30 minutes before we hit the sack. Double bunks pushed together---so someone sleeping next to you--like in a double bed---a bit of a surreal experience---I hadnt met the guy next to me prior to getting into bed---and it seemed a bit weird sleeping about 6 inches away from someone I didnt know so I reached my hand across to him from my sleeping position and said ¨:I.m Chris: and He said Im Thomas--sounded like from Holland or Switzerland ---so we had a night together---havent seen him since. Walked 23 kms today-- Jo walked ahead and got into Mazarife an hour earlier than Me . I walked with Christine from Canada again and walking slower and by the end of the day conscious that my foot was saying You have walked far enough today. Were supposed to walk to Astorga tomorrow but I dont think my feet can carry me the 30 km to Astorga---so may have to break up the Trip---and Jo may go on---There is such a fine line between staying within your limits and pushing yourself too far---we face this decision most days--if you get it wrong you can pay the price for the rest of the camino---and we get reminded daily of those who have tried to push it too far. The place where we are staying has a BATH--such a luxery--especially for 6E a night---so Jo and I both made the most of it---our first for the camino and our aching muscles appreciated the attention. After bathing and washing sat around in the courtyard with Ellen from Holland---Going slower than us--started a week before and John from Ireland---from Waterford---his 1st day today---just has 2 weeks so decided to go from Leon to Santiago. Also ran into Dave from Canada from about 3 nights ago--the snorer---his wife has joined him in Leon and we are going to have dinner with them tonight

3 comments:

maude said...

pleasure, pain and prayers, what a hell of a lot of experiences and being able to share them with each other,and meeting people that are travelling along the same road, at various times, what memories you will have, especially shared with Jo, I am following your adventure daily, with both of you,

Maude

Maz said...

Christine!! thought Chris was a bloke . and didn't get Jo's comment "Don't think I"m the attraction'.... so it must be you!!. The penny drops probably everybody else knew. I'm just a bit slow! You're probably getting to the stage of being able to go separately some of the time and needing to go at your own physical pace. Listen to yourself cause you made it so well last time so use the lessons you learnt and slow down if you need to. There's always the bus... Keep strong and remember we are all travelling vicariously with you... every day. Love and huge squeezes Maz

Fliss said...

I like the idea of you walking more slowly and breaking up your trip - taking care of your foot but always knwoing you'll choose the right thing to do...hugs and kisses, fliss