Thursday 14 May 2009

getting stronger

Jo and I and Roisin (from Dublin) had our meal out in Longrono, Bought some delicious cocoanut macaroons from a nearby market for our morning snacks. Got back at 9.30 and all the lights out in the dorm---so fumbling around with things left on the bed---best to get to bed by 9 if you want to see what you,re doing. Next morning our dormitory got up and going about 5.15--one or two people start to move and everyone thinks its time to get up---so I was ready to go about 6 and checked out Jos dorm and it was still dark and quiet. We were told not to get up till 6.30 but of course everybody ignores that. We got going at 6.45---my foot was improved but still limping a bit---but a lot less pain today. We went 20kms to ventosa---next place was a further 10kms--too far for us. Ventosa was delightful---a lovely welcome and a very well appointed place--good kitchen, nice outdoor space. Went to do my laundry---there were 2 women (european??) hard at work scrubbing things---I got some water for my basin, put in a capful of my conc. detergent and rubbed away at my sox and undies and shirt---took my time to make sure i did a good job-- but was still finished inside 3 minutes including wringing them dry before I hung them out--- the 2 women were still scrubbing away and I could tell by the way they looked at each other that they didn´t approve of my efficient washing style---or maybe it was that I got the best drying spots on the line. Finished reading ¨¨The last American Man¨¨ Elisabeth Gilbert (Eat, Pray LOve) and enjoyed it a lot 9/10---Jo is now reading and carrying it and she found a book by Ian McEwan that I.m carrying---a book is starting to become an essential item. Jo and I cooked ourselves a delicious dinner---pasta with ham and onions. Today we were faced with doing 16kms or 30 kms and again we decided we werent ready for a 30km day so we only walked 4 hours---seemed such a light day and we know we need to be doing more than 16km a day . Have now done 205kms in 10 days and both feeling good---not limping today and the foot is pretty good today-- staying at Azofra ---another lovely albergue---Jo and I have a double room 6E eachand facilities are good---kitchen and Internet. Just met Nick and Michelle from Sydney also staying here and they have a 14 month old daughter with them. Michelle is carrying the baby (11Kgs) and Nick is carrying all their gear---afraid to weigh it. There are also 2 girls from Adelaide staying here---A longer day tomorrow---Jo is yet to decide exactly how far---We.ve bought a packet of Chicken noodle soup for dinner after having a lovely 3 course meal in the local bar (10E)

3 comments:

Maz said...

So loving following you step by step. 20 km a day is what you were aiming for and you have done that or are you supposed to be doing more? Glad your foot is getting better - must have been fliss' prayers. Have sent the map that you gave Jo last time so she can mark off where you are. Love you and sending miracles your way. Maz

AnneMcG said...

I have enjoyed your comments and feel that I can picture the trip. I have a map too. Peter has rung a few times and keeps me uptodate. Prayers are with you all
Anne

Anonymous said...

Just read this post....."Oh my God", how do those people manage with a 14 month old. I had considered it with Nina (now 14 months) but deemed it impossible. Now I am absolutely fascinated. Chris, if you see them again would you mind passing on my email to them that I might discuss their experience of the Camino with a toddler. It might be possible after all. I bet they are alot younger then Peter and I though!!!
Renata