Monday 14 May 2007

a tough day

Was raining when we got up this morning---i.ve been really blessed with the weather---really glorious days---but today was not one of them---by the time I got going at 715 the rain had stopped and it looked like i was wearing all my wet weather gear for show---but about an hour into the walk there was a shower followed by another---and then it became more persistent and the wind picked up---gusting so hard at times that it would blow me a couple of steps across the road---and for a time the rain was coming from head on---i worked out that if i put my head forward enoughthen the brim of my hat would stop the rain on my face---but i could then only see 2 feet in front of me (so to speak). Great to take 5 minutes respite from the rain to catch up with Mum and Maz---Sorry you got the short straw Jo---those calls were from one of about 6 phones that didnt work today. Finally got to the outskirts of Palas de Rei and there was a brand new Albergue--great to get out of the rain and get my dripping wet things off and claim a bed----and then i realised there was no meals available and no bars ,shops, restaurants nearby---no washing machines,dryers,no internet---the place was very clean but no warmth or positive energy. For the 1st time on this journey---and despite it still pouring outside--I decided to move on---About 1km further was the town with lots of bars, shops etc--and an Albergue---when I walked in there there were about 10 people sitting around waiting to be attended to but no official in sight---a woman I knew said she was staying but ¨¨it was very basic¨¨---and it looked a cold grey place. I finally looked up my guide--would have normally done this earlier but in pouring rain it does have its problems---and I had noted that there was a 3rd Albergue in this town---SOOOOO for the 2nd time on this journey I walked out into the rain again. The 3rd Albergue was only another 100m further on---and more like im used to--a warm welcome---and small rooms --but crowded--the good ones often are---the camino is now stacked with people who have started walking in the last few days--i would say more than half of them---so there are a lot more people around--and a lot more strangers---ran into Jethro this morning in a bar--still full of beans---but has been slowed down with foot trouble--and Andres from Iceland---was doing huge distances---but was laid up for 6 days with stomach problems--finally on anti-biotics---but moving again today---walking entirely on my own again today---and content with that---i.m limping a bit on my left ankle again---its crying out for a weeks rest---i.m promising it a week starting Thursday---Love to all --your support has been so significant in getting me thus far---hopefully a few more kms tomorrow

3 comments:

Fliss said...

you making the time and the effort to get to the 3rd Alberque... I know that when I just can't be bothered sometimes, I end up cursing myself for living with a poorer choice - so good for you - AND it paid off....

you're on the last page now 0 only a few more days then blissful rest....
but enjoy your time on the Camino - so precious now
xx

Jo Jo said...

I've been bragging about you all last week to the people I was training with in Sydney, all are totally blown away with the prospect of attempting such a long journey, Paul asks if I still am keen ... I'm keen to talk to you!! Paul says No thank you to a suggestion that he might consider joining me, That's a phew from me too I think. I'm just so impressed that you have WALKED it ALL, so far and now nearing the end.Enjoy your last days and take extra care of yourself. Lots of love and big big hugs.

Linda S said...

Its been a real pleasure to take a few minutes out of the day and read more of your journey - my imagination has a great time with all that you describe. My thoughts are with you, especially as you get closer to the end of this part of your journey.