Thursday 10 May 2007

day 26-28

Left Rabanal early---got to the high point of the camino--where there is a place to leave something on a monument--left a photo of an angel on the pole facing all the pilgrims---was determined to have another quiet day so stopped about 130 atRiego de Ambros---A very quiet village--no other english speakers--no internet--so had to rest which was good---then at 5pm Helene walks in to stay the night--glad to see someone I can chat to, have dinner with.Next day we decide to walk together for a while at a pace that suits us both---more walking thru the mountains covered with a purple bush as far as the eye can see--we are both off colour--Helene has a migraine and I feel Queasy And dont feel like eating--we get lost coming out of Ponferrada and instead of parks and quiet suburbs we are walking on the equivalent of Parramatta road for about 12 kms in very hot weather--no intermediate stops--we have to go 30 kms to find a place to stay--I just collapsed onto the bed when I got there about 530---10 hour day---After 30 minutes I go and showerBut that takes my last remaining energy--the bar is 300-400m away---no way I can get there--I have an orange and a few almonds I..m carrying--I..m also burning up --have a high fever---have a couple of disprin and am in bed at 630 (sunset about 9)--I sleep OK and the fever goes but have gastric---the joys of the camino !!!!--Helene migraine is worse and she cant move---I get going about 730--feeling quite weak--with very little food yesterday---after 2 hours find a cafe open--the best they can offer is dry toast and cheese--so i take it. A difficult day---felt like I was dragging my feet all day---stop at 2 at la Portela de Valcarce--so far have a room for 4 to myself---and feeling like Im getting stronger---I need to be --biggest climb of Camino tomorrow---Great to make contact with Erin for her birthday---and Phil and Flis --Love to you all

3 comments:

Maz said...

Really felt for you. Hope you're feeling better. You've got through all the other aches and pains - you'll get through this. Bueno Camino!! This is the thought that wanted to be picked for you today "The higher one climbs on the spiritual ladder, the more he will grant others their own freedom and give less interference to another's state of consciousness"

A Big Walk said...

I think it's time for a beer and a joint.

Fliss said...

so so good to talk to you over the phone.... methinks it's sometimes a lot tougher than you are letting on - but my prayers are with you and hugs....
keep looking for miracles
with tons of love
fliss