Monday 7 May 2007

day 23--25

Last i left you I was in Mazarife--Jethro invited me to the pub for one beer---4 hours later I got back to my Albergue after a few drinks and a visit to the supermarket and a communal spag bol for 10--very nice. Away at 645 next morning--Jethro was 5 min behind--could see him behind me for ages--then he disappeared---caught up later and said 3km out he remembered he left his MP3 behind---so did an extra 6kms. Went into the 1st bar I found after 3 hours--was only one there--then 2 minutes later Marie walks in---Amazing--I had wanted to say goodbye as it was her last day walking but hadnt seen her for 3 days. Then in this bar, they had a comments book for customers--have never seen that before---idly looking thru it came across a message FOR ME from Renata ¨¨hello to Chris if you see this¨¨ brought me undone once again at the miracle of connection across 10 days. Walked with Marie a couple of hours---Faced with doing 19kms or 30 kms and it was a good walking day --cool and pretty flat---felt good at 19kms but by 25kms the bottom of my feet felt like mush--nothing to do but push on one step at a time---fearing some drastic consequences--but got to Astorga with breaking down and Promised myself a shorter next day if I could still walk. Had a flash dinner at the Hotel Gaudi with Marie,Granya; dominic and 2 Finnish girls--All for 10E--a special for Pilgrims. This morning was delighted to find I could still walk --made lots of connections along the way including Anne- Marie--a German lady and Wolfgang Again and Danielle from Toulouse. The strangest was Dimitri from USA who was going the other way--and trying to do it with no money--relying on gifts of food and accommodation---stopped and chatted to him about the spiritual malaise in the world for 30 minutes and moved on. I gave him an orange I had to help him out. Stopped at next bar--Granya and Finnish girls there---Then Anne Marie turned up and told us of a man going the other way who stopped her and shared an orange with her--gave us a laugh. Staying at Rabanal for the night---Met the Spanish man for the TENTH time today---but also got an explanation--two women hes with walk the same way as us--he drives 25kms and walks back to meet them --and then turns around-and walks with them to the car..--mystery solved---a beautiful spring day today---snow covered mountains in view and beautiful wild flowers--fields of white and yellow daisys intersperced with rich red poppies---glorious.

2 comments:

Maz said...

Had a chuckle about he 'orange' pilgeim - what goes around comes around. You'll get that orange back in bucketfuls.Love hearing about all your friends and renata's message- amazing. and the spanish man _ i rather liked the mystery!!!David teaching in Goodooga all week. Gilrls gone back to Uni so Nigel and I are back to being a twosome until the weekend. Your thought "I wish I'd drunk more champagne"

Fliss said...

gosh what an update - like Maz I loved the mystery of the Spanish man but what a thoughtful thing for him to do - and I AM glad that you got an answer to it after all - I just couldn't fathom it. And to get Renata's message - wow! And the orange - again, like Maz, I know it'll come back to you 100 fold. What a fantastic story in that one little incident... 1 little magnificent story of a 1000 on your journey....

Love and hugs to you

Liv, Josh and I are heading up this afternoon to celebrate Erin's 4th birthday... Liv really excited! Josh always excited!