Thursday 17 May 2007

Santiago

In Arzua there are 30 in the Albergue and 30 more in the village square where i sit for an hour---its as if i.ve been beamed to another country---where are all the people i.ve been travelling with---and where did THESE people come from--i eat on my own 3rd time in 4 days--only 6 times in 34 days--feeling flat. In no hurry next morning--take a break in a roadside cafe about 10---and decided that instead of going to the nearest place to Santiago--to get there in time for the Pilgrims mass on wed at 12---i would stop earlier at a place for 15 instead of 120--its an inspired choice---I get a single bed--with sheets,blankets AND towel and in a little alcove on my own---there are also 7 double bunks----also a lovely communal dinner--about 6 different nationalities---and lots of laughter---my soul is feeling much better. NEXT DAY THEY ALSO HAVE BREAKFAST and i dont leave till 8---walk steadily--meet up with susie--an Austrian girl who was the only other english speaker at a dinner a week ago---we walk together for a while---and then walk with granya for a while.About 4km out I dont know which way to go---and there is a group of 6 blind pilgrims--all with their guide dogs---and their leader who has no dog but is only 5% sighted---AND I ASK THE BLIND MAN WHICH WAY TO GO---he points left---so i go left and im reassured 1km later when i look back and they are all following me---and then I get to a major intersection and no arrows---and realise ive gone the wrong way---so i retrace my steps---and all the blind people follow me again. NOTE--Add 2km to tally. Coming into the city i wanted the Cathedral to appear in all its glory around a corner---instead i came in via a back door---about 6 other pilgrimsbut none i knew---im glad its over but no tears or euphoria---i go out to the main square--more pilgrims but no one i know--i sit in the square contemplating my next move when granya--- bless her--- appears--says theres a lunch organised with dominic and marie---and dinner later with others---suddenly the world takes on colour again---i realise how much i depend on familiar faces to sustain me in my day. I book a room where Granya is staying $90 a night--Meet Danielle,maria,Frank Marie,Dominic at lunch---hugs all round---later meet Jethro, Thomas Fritz. at 6 go looking for an internet and run into Helene--still with backpack on---just walked 40 kms---was robbed of 300E where id left her with a migraine. She was looking for a place to stay. SOOOOOOOOO really glad to be here---its definately the hardest thing physically ive ever done---its been a huge rollercoaster emotionally and spiritually---ill be processing aspects of this trip for years--its probably the best thing ive done for myself--apart from marriage. I couldnt have done it without all your support---its been wonderful and constant and generous and never let me forget i was very loved---and THAT makes a huge difference in anyones life. My advice--DO IT !!!! Have to go its 11 at night---a long day

3 comments:

Maz said...

Wow . You've done it and you've walked all the way. What an amazing achievment.Don't get too down - your body and your mind and your spirit are still adjusting to not having constant movement. Enjoy this time as well. Keep looking for your miracles!! "Everyone finds their own doorway to walk through. Each doorway you walk through wil bring you into a new space of Being. As you create new spaces to walk into, stand a moment in the doorway." Love and hugs and tons of tears!!!

Jo Jo said...

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes reading "Santiago",You've done it!!I don't think the enormity of it will sink in for some time, but I'm rejoicing that you have finished, thank you for sharing it all with us (thank God for your Need to share!) Rest and enjoy
Love and Hugs

A Big Walk said...

Big achievement. Proud of you. Now for the walk back!