Sunday 29 April 2007

still going

got away about 730 from castrojeriz--hoping my foot would hold up---felt fine for 11kms where i found a bar and had a half hour break---after i started again my ankle was quite sore but i was on my way again and hobbled another 8 kms to boadilla where i had to stay---marie and helene had lunch there but decided to move on to the next town-- a further 6 kms away---but i was going nowhere.tried to stay off my foot as much as possible and that helped. about 30 pilgrims staying but no familiar faces---it makes quite a difference to me i´ve found---had a communal dinner which i quite like---opposite me was another aussie--frank---his name--not his manner--he was as introverted as me--an ex pom--chatted to a german girl--walking the camino for 4 days and then driving the rest of the way to santiago---i thought there must be an easier way to get there.
This morning I got up with the early risers at 6---paid for the usual spartan breakfast--tiny pieces of cold toast and hot coffee and was on my way about 715. Two options to stay today---at Fromista 6kms where the others had gone onto last night ---and Carrion 27kms---nothing else open in between. I had decided if I was limping or in pain at Fromista then it would be stupid to try and go another 21kms---so was hoping and praying I got beyond Fromista---and I did---foot still good---from there just one foot in front of the other about 21000 more times and hey presto I was in Carrion---booked into the monastery whereSt Francis of Assissi stayed---I dont think conditions have changed much since he stayed--pretty spartan---but the good news is that my foot feels much better after todays walk than after yesterdays---the pilgrims life come down to pretty basic ingrediants---and take just one day at a time--no point looking too far ahead. more news on Tim---has gone to the Spanish seaside and intends to come back to walk the final 100 kms. Many thanks for all the comments---very encouraged by them

3 comments:

patricia said...

your letter incredible! we see it all . We feel it all! I"=-i'm at mariannes where we did more corrections on the book before it goes back to denice.Lovely evening at Candys barbeque.she thrilled you rang!Al doing a great job cooking. New church going up here and looking good.EVERYONE wants to go on the camino now.Ijust need you to tell me all about it.LOVE

Maz said...

Thought that the fact of not seeing old friends would open the way to new best friends. Open up. you can be whoever you want to be. No-one knows you. Your thought for today which is always picked randomly and is the first page i open so it is yours with love, From " a course in Miracles" "Fear is not of the present but only of past and future -which does not exist.

A Big Walk said...

You seem to be surrounded by women and not accidently I would think. Tim is gone. I think Tim has been murdered!!! He "left" the walk just 3 hours after leaving you. A poisoned banana is my theory. Frank's days are numbered.