Saturday 28 April 2007

icebergs ahead---but i ignore warnings

About 2 hours after my last entry 4 days ago ,I got a severe pain in the ball of my left foot. I could hardly walk---felt like a bruise through to the bone--I felt my camino could be over---at least i could have to wait a couple of days to see if it improved---it had come out of the blue but i put it down to walking a couple of hours with joyce that morning---at her pace not mine, i resolved that if i got walking again that i would only walk at my own pace--another lesson from the camino,. The foot improved a bit that night and i tentavily set out the next day with albergues at 5km ,8kms 12kms, 24kms and 28kms along the way. was ready to stop at any of them if my foot got bad again but a miracle--it had been healed and i walked 28kms to ages---tired but feet good. Tim and helene and marie(a norwegian woman i walked with for a while today) all staying at the same place, Helene provided a very noble service and gave the 3 of us a foot massage--i gave her one back. Next day off on my own about 7-- about a hour later Tim and Helene catch up to me walking together---we were going slowly down a mountain so it was easy to keep up---then we hit the flat and I SPEEDED UP!!!!!!!!!!! i so wanted to be with the 2 of them--we were getting on so well---stayed with them for the next 3 hours going at THEIR pace---my feet ok-- finally on the outskirts of Burgos I told them to go ahead---I had already declined an offer to go the last 6kms into Burgos with them by bus,--i still in the place where i want to walk all the way. they went ahead, i stopped for a rest for 25 min or so. when i got up, my left foot was sore, i was limping and i suddenly realised i[d broken the rule i´,d set in stone only 2 days before---talk about a slow learner, I limped the last 7 kms through the suburbs of Burgos--Tim and I had decided to share a room at a Hostel-- he had already got it 15e each$25 so it wasnt much but it was pretty ordinary---still a comfy bed and sheets and only 2 in the room. we got together with helene for dinner in our room--fresh bread rolls and hamand cheece and avacados etc-very nice--but my foot wasnt improving---i tell them both i cant walk with them anymore and hope my foot improves by morning. Up for a pee at 1am and i cant walk on it at all-- i hop to the toilet and back and lie awake considering my optiond--i.ll have to stay a day or 2 in burgos---there is an albergue about 200m from where we are so i can book in there--see if i can see a doctor--feels like a sprain---try to remember how long they take to come good, tim wakes at 630--tell him i cant go on---he gives me some anti-inflammitories(hes a doctor)--i give him my banana--im not going anywhere. Tim goes at 730, I,m quite depressed--i go back to bed---breathe in love,-breathe out anxiety---i do a kind of meditation--just accepting what is---eventually get up i have to move out --the foot feels a bit better---i do my camino prayers and dose myself with arnica a few times---i put my boots and pack to walk to the albergue---walking like an old man with a walker--and my foot doesnt feel too bad---theres an albergue 2km out of town---if i can get there at least im moving forward---still feeling really flat---a shout comes across the street (Peter style) its a workman on the 2nd floor of a construction site yelling Buen Camino and giving me a thumbs up with a big grin-- just what i needed-- shed a few tears---stop to buy an elastic support for my ankle--get to next albergue and the foot is still ok---another miracle--i decide to go on slowly---eventually get 13 kms to Rabe de las calzados and decide not to push my luck further---find the albergue--a private house--only 3 of us there--a motherly type who washes all my clothes and then wants to look at my feet after the shower--she puts clay all over the left foot and wraps it in gladwrap and tells me to put it up till tomorrow---and i do---apart from the best meal on the camino--a thick and hearty meat and vege soup---it all restores my spirits tremendously. When i leave the next day she kisses me on both cheeks-- a brave act considering 17 days growth---have come a further 28 kms today toCastrojeriz--feeling tired but feet good and spirits high--- have run into helene again---she tells me that tim quit the camino yesterday---about 3 hours after he left me.Feel i,ve been on an incredible emotional, physical and spiritual rollercoaster over the last 4 days---incredibly grateful that my stupidity hasnt cost me the journey ---and im still going---a shorter day tomorrow i think---love to you all

5 comments:

Jo Jo said...

I was beginning to wonder .. we hadnt heard from you and were hoping it was because of no internet and not an injury . Sounds like little miracles occuring each day in amoung the tough bits ..I'll pray for that to keep happening, the miracles I mean not necessarily the tough bits.Candy's birthday today and Mum has come up to suprise her, well meet for a cuppa this morning and then the bbq tonight.Your surging ahead, eating up the kilometers. take care lots of prayers and love Jo

Linda S said...

Hi CHris

this will be brief as I am having trouble with Google accepting my password. This is now my 3rd attempt to send you a message. Will post this to see if it works. BTW a hearty hello.

Linda S said...

Hooray, success at last. Now can I remember what I wanted to say to you! Hello again Chris. sorry to hear you have been having such a tough time; over this side of the globe it certainly makes for gripping reading. I have really enjoyed reading about your journey. Thank you for making that possible. I have particularly enjoyed reading about how you solve problems and difficulties as they arise, the sense of cameraderie that seems to prevail between travelllers and between treavellers and locals, and the great pleasure taken in eating simple food. very zen. What an amazing journey you are having. Take care Chris.

A Big Walk said...

I have nothing...........apart from... eh.......Bravo, pure courage.

Maz said...

Thanks goodness you're okay. reading about your foot flaring up again I thought maybe the message was you should have got on the bus with them. Glad Tims foot has got better - maybe you've taken on his pain. Time for your next thought " instead of seeing the rug being pulled from under us, we can learn to dance on a shifting carpet" I'm adding .. or even on the bare floor which makes for better dancing!!! love and massages across the miles