Wednesday 18 April 2007

day 6 obanos to estella 26km

Seemed to be first awake again and ready to go. Said my farewells to contacts--very brief--see you on the trail---i´m headed for estella--maybe. You cant ever be too sure where you will end up--and we dont discuss where we will stay in estella--if we get there--there are 3 pilgrim places there--and hotels etc. Got going at 730 --a tough little uphill to start the day but not as hilly as previous days---stopped for a breather and had half my cashews after a couple of hours---finally after 4 hours walking (Gerard the Frenchman passed me and later to my surprise so did the Irish lass Katrina. I thought she´d be way ahead of me but she had an extra day in Pamplona) I came across a bar inLorca.They had a special on-- a bread roll and a beer for 3E ($5) so I snapped that up--and they had a free internet so I put yesterdays doings on there--Obanos had no internet--and had another bread roll--egg and potato--very nice. Must have been there for an hour--felt pretty refreshed so pushed on--finally got to Estella just as I caught up with Isabelle--girl from Sweden who is going to Santiago--did St j to Ron in one day. She decided to stay at the Municipal Alberque which we came to first. I had made a note that Joyce Rupp had said it was very crowded and ordinary so had decided to push on to one that was 1.6km further on--with no guarantee that there will be a vacancy-- I would have had to retrace my steps if full---was counting on the fact that it was further so more likely people would stay at the first place (120 beds) than the 2nd (28 beds). My hunch paid off and I got a non-bunk bed--there were only 8 of them and 2 left. Katrina is staying here but I suspect the other contacts are staying at the larger hostel if they made it this far. my longest distance--but I´m also aware I need to average todays kms. And I´m thinking of having a shorter day tomorrow. Backpack has felt uncomfortable for last 2 days--but not as worried about it today

4 comments:

Maz said...

Wow you are going so well. How big are the towns you are going through - like the Ridge or more like Coonamble or Dubbo?... just to give a sense of whats available there. You don't seem to be eating much ...for all the execise you are doing. Denise sent the first 17 pages of Intimate shadows through Looks fabulous!! Just picked a random thought for the day for you (nothing is raandom!!) "Sometimes the only way for me to find out what it is I want to do is go ahead and do something. Then the moment I start to act, my feelings become clear" How apt

Jo Jo said...

So wonderful to get your news so often and sounding so great despite the hard slog. How are you managing with the language,do you feel you are missing out on much or do most speak a little English.

Fliss said...

Three cheers to you - for maintaining the high spirits and health. How is the point system for health and emotions holding up - have you had any 10 days yet?

I went for a walk today from our place right around the foreshore, through bicentennial park, around Glebe and ended up at the Boatshed which I haven't been to yet though I hear they serve a lovely meal. The walk was just gorgeous, little wooden bridges, stone stpes down to the water, little beachy spots, lovely wide paths for people, dogs, bicycles to all fit comfortably.... ahhh - only an hour but I came back feeling fantastic. I can't imagine what it would be like to do it for 7 or 8 hours.

Liv loved her birthday card - how special...
As Maz said, it looks like Denise may have the book done by Anzac day - so after our corrections (cos there are always corrections), should be published by early May. It looks fantastic.

Dunno if you want news from home - or if you prefer to stay in your own bubble of experience... anyway... tons and tons of love to you
Fliss

Jo Jo said...

now one of the hard questions that everyone else is too afraid to ask ...where do you go to the toilet? are there good ol' long drops dotted along the track or do you have to find a thick bush. Just preparing for when the next pilgrims comes through.
love logging on at the end of the days to see where you are up to!!
The sun is always rising somewhere in the world
love