Tuesday 30 September 2014

Leon

At Mansilla overnight and had dinner with Vicky and Chris from Brisbane and Sylvia an author from Rhode Island who is thinking about writing a novel based on characters on the Camino. Have already nominated my character as the hero in the story but Sylvia seemed dubious about this and may need more convincing---or else more evidence of my hero status.It fits well with my enlightened status I think.Anyway, the discussion over dinner was whether to walk into Leon or catch a cab(20kms from Mansilla). In Brierleys book he advocates catching a bus into Leon and then another bus when you are leaving and because his book is the "bible" and he is God, his word is very influential,especially as he was saying that people who insist on walking May have issues with the size of their ego.this was enough to convince everyone at the table to catch a cab and have a days rest---everyone that is except me---who has almost no ego issues.I thought I could walk as a representative of our group but I didn't tell them as I want to be an unsung hero---not one who big notes himself.So set the alarm for 10 to 6 as normal and when it went off I got ready to walk the last 20 kms. Then Anne discovered that the alarm had malfunctioned and it wasn't 10 to 6 but only 4.30am. By this time I was dressed and wide awake and ready to go. So I left at 10 to 5, a full three and a half hours before sunrise.Pretty crazy really but the benefit was getting almost 2 full days off in Leon---and more time to stay at the Parador, the 5 star hotel in Leon courtesy of an anonymous benefactor. (Thanks Phil).I found walking in the dark for a couple of hours a pretty rich experience---thought it wasn't completely dark as I was always walking towards the lights of Leon.However I had a long wait to get a coffee and a slice of tortilla---it was 8.30 before I found a cafe open about 4 kms from the city centre. Then I got lost in the city for 30-40 minutes before getting to the hotel 5 minutes after Anne arrived in a cab from Mansilla at 10.Our room is huge---big enough for about 10 bunk beds and has a bath so had a blissful half hour soaking my weary limbs in the bath. Having a farewell dinner tonight with Vicky,Chris and Sylvia as they are walking on tomorrow(or taking the bus?) while Anne and I have a rest day in Leon.

No comments: