Thursday 9 October 2014

Stormy Weather

When we woke this morning it was to the sound of pouring rain---and facing our first day walking in the rain. At the same time my health has taken a downturn to the extent that I wasn't sure I could continue. Was faced with 3 choices---take a day or two to rest in Ponferrada but at the expense of our whole booked schedule and a week off to relax after Santiago,or second to get a cab for a day or two to the next booked space and give myself a rest but at the expense of my selfish, narcissistic desire to complete the whole Camino or third, to just walk and put it out there that my health will improve by walking in the rain for 7 hours and we can keep to our schedule. A no brainer really---I walked !!! I gave myself a 40% chance of completing the day, about 50% for catching a taxi along the way and 10% for ending up in hospital.however I didn't get the wobbles I had yesterday and had more energy today despite it raining about half the time. We kept on running into Dietrich in every bar we stopped at and chocolate again sued a part in getting us through the day. We ended up at valtuille---a speck on the map but we are the only ones in a large 5 bedroom home so we had our pick of the bedrooms and a big kitchen. The owner met us when we arrived and went off after raiding her veggie garden for our dinner which Anne is delighted to do with lots of ingredients. It's lovely having the place to ourselves and we will help ourselves to breakfast in the morning and then head off--depending on how I'm feeling. Each of the three options will be carefully considered over the next two or three days. We are hoping for finer weather tomorrow. Anne is firing on all 6 cylinders !!

No comments: